My five favourite things in the world (not including people):
1. Birthday/ice cream cake … This is my problem with teenagers. After a certain age, no one wants cake for their birthday, they just want alcohol. You’re wasting a perfect excuse for free cake, people!
2. Bear hugs … Studies show that regular huggage can decrease your chances of getting heart disease and increase your oxytocin levels. (Oxytocin is referred to as the “love hormone”: it increases bonding between friends and couples, maternal behaviours, fights stress, and much more.) People who give and receive hugs regularly reportedly have lower blood pressure and decreased heart rates, are more sensitive to touch, and are generally in a better mood. Sooo… hugs, please!
3. Holding soft, clean little babies … Well, I am female. There’s something about little baby ears and noses and fingers and toeses that just make me happy. And it’s even nicer when I’m not the one cleaning up the poop.
4. Discovering a word or phrase that sums up something I’ve been trying to say forever … I am currently reading The Art of Zen & Motorcycle Maintenance. It’s a great book, well-written, interesting characters, and all that jazz. But the best part about it is that every so often, the main character will share this really profound, in-depth thought about, say, how gravity cannot be any more real than ghosts. (Read it to find out why!) Also, I found the word physiognomy reading Bram Stoker’s Dracula and I was so excited … Yea, I’m a nerd, I know.
5. Buying new music … Definitely guaranteed to put me in the best of moods right away. Just bought a few songs I’ve wanted forever. I think I’ve mentioned a few of them before, but they’re all worth another mention.
Easy to Love – The Jezabels
Night – Sean Rowe
Plans – Birds of Tokyo